Peter Loso was main settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German pay out in August, 1854. He claimed section 9-10 on which the Community of Saint Joseph was platted. Many others soon implemented and the Township was arranged in 1858 covering 81 square a long way. Originally called Clinton, St. Joseph purchased its current name in 1870. Many settlers came for the land, with its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and finally the Community was integrated in 1890. As the township grew, so have the needs of its individuals, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As a part of their agenda in the 1890's, they decided to construct a jail, install a consumer well, build and repair wooden sidewalks, and placed liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also issues and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was structured, which is currently the St. Joseph Flames Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was flourishing with around 600 residents. Farming was beginning to support the families after multiple years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 minimizing the time to milk cows so more time could read more be spent on crops and pet care. Soon after, World War 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to battle.
After the war ended people were in a position to get their lives again on the right track, at least for a while, before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at the moment, prohibition was in place so many of the farmers turned to making moonshine, which somewhat reduced the hardships of the marketplace crash. Using the depression effecting every person in town, the city needed to keep together more than ever. Through a federal offer, the Council could check here hire the unemployed to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On Dec 7, 1941 the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor which officially entered the united states into World War 2. Rationing tokens were given out since many items were in short supply. In those days St. Joseph got a human population of around 1050, dropping 10 heroic military to the battle. The community continued to website be strong and continuing to increase the Town, adding a normal water tower in 1949, along with a new Community well. In 1959, St. Joseph started fluoridating its normal water supply, and carries on to take action.